Our mission is to share the redeeming love of Jesus with children and their families; helping them to learn and grow in a Christ-centered environment.
No evenings or weekends
Reports to: Sunshine Nursery School Directors
General: Applicants must have a passion for working with young children. Be detailed oriented, creative, energetic, and enthusiastic. Must work together with a team with mutual respect and cooperation within the classroom and the center. This position is required to help support the daily care of children, helping to support each child’s individual social, emotional, physical, cognitive, spiritual, and creative development. Building and sustaining positive communication and relationships with families and coworkers. Maintaining hygiene, safety, cleanliness and order of the classroom and center. Be professional in speech and dress.
Spiritual: Each employee of Sunshine Nursery School (hereafter designated as SNS) must have received Jesus Christ as his/her personal Savior and believe that the Bible is God’s word and standard for faith and daily living. The employee shall be a Christian role model in attitude, speech, and actions towards others. This includes being committed to God’s biblical standards for sexual conduct. He/she shall be a regular attender at a local evangelical church and shall be in agreement with the Statements of Faith of First Alliance Church and ACSI.
Physical: Employees of SNS must be able to observe, hear, and quickly respond to the needs of children and emergencies or conflicts that might occur in a classroom, on the playground, and in common areas. Employees must have the ability to lift children up to 45 pounds from the floor to waist high; to crouch to a child’s height and maintain eye contact; to sit on the floor and stand for long periods of time; and perform other physical activities related to teaching, playing, and caring for the children.
- Meets the state of Ohio requirements and qualifications for Supervising Teacher
- Successfully passes criminal background checks
- Has a minimum of two years of experience working with children in a classroom setting
- Has at least nine semester hours of college-level credits in child growth and development or early childhood education. Is willing to pursue higher education to attain a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Early Education or higher.
- Such alternative to the above qualifications as the director may find appropriate
General Description of Duties
The Supervising Teacher is responsible for planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate learning environment for the children assigned to his/her class, following the guideline of SNS approved curriculum. The teacher is also responsible to fulfill assigned duties and tasks, attend 12 hours of training per year, attend designated school events, and abide by the terms and policies of the school as described in the SNS Staff Handbook and SNS Board documents.
- Demonstrates Christian maturity in attitude, action, and speech, showing a consistent walk with Jesus Christ to children, parents, and other staff members. Is sensitive to the spiritual needs of others.
- Will plan, supervise, and implement the program for the class in alignment with the standards and Christian philosophy of SNS.
- Will plan, supervise, and implement student centered learning and play activities that will address the spiritual, physical, emotional, social, and cognitive needs of the individual child in a group environment.
- Will evaluate on an on-going basis the developmental level of individual children in the classroom through consistent student observation and assessments. Will maintain an ongoing developmental portfolio on each child, and conduct Parent/Teacher conferences twice a year.
- Will develop individualized learning plans for students and adjust teaching strategies as needed; and ensure that adaptations are being utilized for students with special needs according to SNS guidelines.
- Will develop lesson plans and submit them to the director on a weekly basis. They need to be submitted by Friday for the following week.
- Will treat all children with dignity and respect. Will follow the school discipline guidelines and maintain consistency among all classroom staff. Will clearly communicate discipline concerns to the SNS Director and parents. Will abide by a code of confidentiality in discipline cases.
- Will be responsible for the appearance, décor, and learning environment of the classroom. This will include hygiene, safety, cleanliness, bulletin boards, and overall orderliness and maintaining an attractive appearance of the classroom.
- Will attend all staff meetings and participate in ongoing professional development with the goal of being a team that shares and works together to improve professionally and organizationally.
- Will implement methods for effectively utilizing assistant teachers; including clear communication, seeking their input for program development, and keeping them informed of program goals.
- Will plan and implement methods of establishing positive interaction and communication with parents of students. This includes daily contact with parent; daily and weekly notes; monthly newsletters; as well as specific events and meetings such as Open House, Parent and Family Dinners, and Conferences.
- Will maintain current infant/child CPR and first aid certification; Recognition of Child Abuse and Communicable Diseases.
- Teachers will be observed throughout the year by the SNS Directors with informal and formal evaluations.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Requesting classroom supplies
- Reporting maintenance needs in the classroom
- Maintaining all records and files
- Filling our incident reports as needed
- Provide classroom with appropriate books, visuals, and materials related to teaching theme
- Participate in quarterly work times
- Any other duties assigned by the SNS Directors
I am text block. Click edit button to change this text.
What our staff is saying
“I appreciate the level of connection with the families. Most of our families stay with the program for years, so we get to know them really well. Our families are super supportive of the staff!”Jen - 30 yearsSunshine Staff
“I love that Sunshine plays an active role in the children’s lives as well as the families. We care about all the children and their needs. We instill Jesus in their hearts. I love that I can be a part of the children’s development and help them grow in the Lord. Sunshine has been a great ministry for my children and family. They are loving, understanding to family needs, and really show the love of Jesus in everything they do.”Jamie - 16 yearsSunshine Staff
“I have been working at Sunshine for the past 14 years. I am impressed by the warm welcome and encouragement continuously received from the management and the staff. They are very friendly, accommodating to the needs and are very understanding to the staff and the parents. I am honored to be a part of this great institution.”Cumi - 14 yearsSunshine Staff
“I enjoy teaching children. The Sunshine staff, we support each other. I like our building, our classroom, and the resources we have. We have an awesome playground and gym. Our cook provides us with nutritious hot meals.”Sandra - 26 yearsSunshine Staff
Teachers have been carefully selected for their education and training in early childhood development, and their teaching experience. Each member of the staff is a Christian with an ability to work with young children and a desire to provide love and understanding for students.
Sunshine Nursery School
3750 Henderson Road
Columbus, Ohio 43220
614-457-4085 / Fax 614-442-8472